Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Here we go again......

So both girls were due to have their post-of hearing tests this morning with Dr. Vest. We go in for a look to see if the tubes are still in the eardrum so they can do their thing, and wouldn't you know it, both of Kendall's are out and one of Maggie's is out. The ears missing tubes aren't showing any fluid buildup (good sign) but all eardrums are slightly retracted. Arrrrggggg!!!! So another six weeks of decongestants and we go back on June 1. At that point, either their ears are doing OK and we'll actually be able to test their hearing (they've yet to keep tubes in until the post-of test a few months following surgery) OR there will be a buildup of fluid or the eardrums will be so severely retracted that they'll be rubbing the inner ear bones and damaging them. If that happens, the next step is bigger tubes, which tend to stay in place longer but carry a greater risk of leaving the eardrum with a permanent hole in it. Once again, I have been cursing the Hood DNA that has left my kids with malfunctioning ears!!! While I am VERY thankful these surgeries are short, out-patient deals, having 5 (6 if you include Maggie's stye) in a 12 month period between both girls starts to get old really fast. I absolutely cannot imagine how stressful it would be to have a really sick child and to deal with multiple, life-threatening treatments and complications. Again, I do give thanks for not dealing with a BIG thing, but I still get frustrated. So I'm back to just cussing the bad DNA they inherited from their father (Dr. Vest said I could!!!).
Thanks once again for reading my rant. I don't know about you, but I feel better now!! ;-)

4 comments:

Gasser said...

I know it could be a LOT worse and I should quit complaining. Both girls have tolerated the anesthesia well so far, and they seem to be developing a taste for the Versed they get in pre-op to relax them (think drunken baby). It's just that with each surgery, I get my hopes up thinking it's the last time and it's not. Just me venting frustration. Again.

roz said...

Have you thought of taking them off milk? I know it is controveserial, and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but after having gone through much of what you have with Thomas and starting down that same road with DAvid, I finally gave in and tried it (with my doctor laughing at me all the way) and we never had another ear infection from either of them. It made a believer out of me!

Gasser said...

I honestly think the problem with their ears is an anatomical one. There is something about the setup in there that just doesn't let fluid drain or equalize pressure properly. The tubes would do their job if they stayed in like they were supposed to (12-18 months) but for unknown reasons some kids just kick them out sooner. Of the actual infections we know of, Maggie has only had one and Kendall two in her left ear. I don't think their immune systems are compromised in any way, but that they retain the fluid in their ears creates the perfect breeding ground for any bacteria that happens to be there. The other thing is that if I were to take Kendall off milk, I don't know what else she'd drink; she's VERY picky about her milk and will reject it if it tastes 'different' at all. I am trying to cut down her comsumption now that we've figured out we can get her to drink diluted juice as long as it's in a different type of sippy cup than her milk. I know we could make up the difference in calcium with cheese & yogurt, but we'll see. Maggie, on the other hand, only drinks one cup of milk for breakfast so I don't think it would make a big difference there. But thanks for the tip; it is something to think about.

roz said...

I can understand that, and I hope that the new ones will just stay put!!! We actually took both boys off ALL milk and milk products...including cheese and yogurt and ice cream. The theory behind it is that all milk products produce a thicker phlegm, that doesn't "flow" through the eustacion tubes. As you said, more fluid in the canal longer, makes a great breeding ground for bacteria. We started with soy chocolate milk (which Thomas still loves) and happened to live in New Orleans, where Whole Foods was just down the block, so all the "soy substitutes" were available and were pretty good. We slowly reintroduced all of the other stuff when they hit about 4-5 and those tubes got a bit larger. I wasn't fanatical, if a recipe called for cheese and it wasn't much I added it and so forth, but we did cut WAY back...and my kids drank a LOT of milk, which yours don't, so it probably wouldn't make the difference it did in mine.